Friday, October 01, 2004

Me? Competitive?

I live on the sixth floor (which would be called the seventh floor in America) and our elevator is extremely unreliable, so I like to think that I am in shape. I haven't really worked out in two weeks because of the whole moving process and readjustment, but I would not go as far as to say that I am in bad shape.

Somehow, I ended up in the leading pack of the hike. We had about 25-30 people with us to varying degrees to athletic ability and speed. I tried to keep up with Ingrid. This was quite a challenge. She's from Alaska and is like the most experienced freakin hiker that I've ever met. Then, Alex was with us as well. She's from Seattle and has done a bit of hiking in her day as well. Seeing as I have only tackled Camelback Mountain a handful of times, I was a little out of my league. But I didn't let that stop me. I'm actually really proud of myself...I'm a pretty good hiker.

So we were the first to arrive at the first check point. We sat down, ate, and then waited for everyone else to come. Some arrived 20-30 minutes later, others an entire hour later. By this time, we were absolutely freezing. We were soaking wet from the sprinkling rain and sweat. I'm not sure what the temperature was, but when we stopped moving it was freezing. So when we started doing pushups, jumping jacks, and dancing all of the others thought we were insane because they had not yet reached that point of coldness. It was really funny because they couldn't understand how we had such energy. I still do not know how I made it this entire trip without dying of exhaustion...the energy comes from somewhere...

No comments: